The BAPP journey begins..........

Modules 1 and 2 completed in 2011/2012! After interrupting for 2 years I am now back to my BAPP studies and ready to conduct my professional inquiry.....

"What is the best way to prepare someone for full time professional training in Musical Theatre/Dance?"


Thursday, March 1, 2012

Task 4d - Award Title Rationale

After reading Alicia Beck's Task 4d, I was really inspired by her methodology and approach to the task.  She looked at her past training, current profession and future aspirations in order to get a well rounded perspective on her Professional life.

Alicia's method

Past training - Laine Theatre Arts - Professional Musical Theatre
Current Profession - Private/Freelance Teacher of all areas of Musical Theatre
Future Aspirations - Further Education Musical Theatre Teacher/Owner of Private Academy.

From this it is clear that my award needs to have a focus on Musical Theatre and the teaching of Musical Theatre. However, I want my teaching to be vocational based teaching, primarily practical not theoretical.

It is true to say that this degree only makes up one third of our training, therefore the title needs to reflect my full time training, along with my current position and future aspirations.

What do I want the title to say about me? How do I want to be reflected to others?

I want it to clearly show that I focus on Musical Theatre and that I teach in a Vocational/Practical way.

However, I am extremely conscious that I don't want to put too much emphasis on 'education' or 'teaching' as I feel this limits the skills and experience that I already posess.

For example... BA Hons Professional Practice (Teaching Vocational Musical Theatre)...

This to me suggests someone who only teaches and doesn't consider themselves as a trained performer. With using the word Vocational, I also don't want to suggest that I am only capable of teaching in this style, it is simply that I prefer to teach in this way, not that this is the only way I know how.

Is this too general....

BA Hons Professional Practice (Musical Theatre)

Do I need to have a reference to teaching somewhere, seen as this is the path my career is taking?

Please let me know your thoughts, any advice on this one would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Jo,

    If you want to teach in any aspect of Education or Professionally then this title is good. If you want to go into a specific form of doing Musical Theatre I suggest you add for example

    BA Hons Professional Practice Musical Theatre (Education)

    etc..

    Hope this helps

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my thinking exactly Lily. At the moment my career is definitely still open and therefore I want my Award title to reflect this.

    I really feel at this stage I am not ready to commit myself to one specific area.

    Thanks Lily :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Jo pretty straight forward - if there is a development aspect you can consider that for the degree award title

    ReplyDelete