The BAPP journey begins..........

Modules 1 and 2 completed in 2011/2012! After interrupting for 2 years I am now back to my BAPP studies and ready to conduct my professional inquiry.....

"What is the best way to prepare someone for full time professional training in Musical Theatre/Dance?"


Monday, March 19, 2012

Task 5A - Assumed Regulations within my Workplace/Professional Community

Task 5a

Within any profession there are 'Codes of Practice' which must be adhered to in order to comply with the correct ethical standards and in teaching I think Ethics play a huge role.

Without referring to any official documents such as contracts or education websites (such as CDET) I can think of numerous 'unwritten' or 'assumed' rules that I am expected to adhere to in order to uphold the 'Professional Standard'.

These 'Codes of Practice' will fall under three strands of ethics - Personal, Professional and Organisational. I will talk about these in more depth when I look at the actual ethical framework which 'guides the setting' of my professional community and workplace.

Knowledge/Competency

I must have the correct knowledge, skills, competency and qualifications in the subject area I am teaching. I must be trained to a high standard in the specific area and be able to teach it with confidence.

Professionalism

I must be professional at all times. I must arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the class starting. The room must be set ready for the lesson and I must have the correct material with me for the class. I must remain professional when discussing other schools/teachers. The lesson must be planned and prepared, with a backup of material for unexpected circumstances.

Health and Safety

I must be aware of all Health and Safety aspects within the workplace and the class situation. Make sure there is always a trained first aider in the workplace. Know where the fire exits are located and what the procedure is incase of an emergency. Make sure the room is approriate for the lesson - is the floor clean and clear? Is the temperature correct? Are there any obstacles?

Appearance

I must be appropriately dressed for the lesson, uniform if this is required. My clothing must be suitable for the subject I am teaching. I must look smart and presentable, as I am representing the school and need to look professional at all times.

Other

  • CRB check
  • If working freelance and using a different space - perform a risk assesment of the space and make sure any accident forms are filled in and signed. Locate the fire exits and remove any obstacles. Make the room safe!
  • Maintain the reputation of the school at all times - ORGANISATIONAL ETHICS. Be sure to adhere to the ethos of the school. There may be conflict here as your PERSONAL ETHICS may differ from those of the organisation, but if you are employed by a school, you respect their 'way of doing things' and pass this on to the students.
  • Be sure to always communicate with your employer - inform them of important issues when necessary.
  • Liase with parents when necessary.
  • Do not discriminate - sexual, gender, race, any kind.
  • As a teacher you have a responsibility to guide the children and aim to improve their abilities as much as possible.
  • Be polite and courteous.

After re-reading the above, I realised that I have purely focused on the ethics I have to adhere to as an employee, rather than the ethics the employer must adhere to with their employees. This sparked the following questions..

Do I really know what I should expect from my employer?
What are my rights?
What holidays am I entitled to?
What support should I be receiving from my employer?
Have I experienced any discrimination in the workplace?


As most of my teaching work is done on a self-employed basis I definitely overlook the ethical standards from the perspective of the employer. It will be interesting in Task 5B to look at official documentation and see what 'Codes of Practice' are in place from Employer to Employee.

It will also be interesting to see how much the 'assumed' regulations differ from those in the official regulations. Am I upholding the correct level of 'Ethical Standards'? I have a strong set of Personal Ethics which I bring to every job, regardless of the Professional/Organisational Ethics but am I adhering to the correct Professional and Organisational standards? Will I face any 'Ethical Dilemmas'?

Tune in next time to find out :)

1 comment:

  1. If you've seen my posts Task 5a and 5b I pretty much reiterate everything you've mentioned. I referred to the CDET website and found it really clear and very realative to my practice. I also concentrated on my obligations as an employee rather than the regulations my employer must adhere to. As a lot of my work is 'cash-in-hand' and I do not have a contract, I realise my employer has no legal or contractual regulations to adhere to. This leaves any 'ethical' considerations in the hands of the employer and their own views; fortunatly my main employer has very proficient personal, professional and organisational ethics. However I am very interested to see what you discover about the offical codes of practice concerning employer to employee.

    Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete