The BAPP journey begins..........

Modules 1 and 2 completed in 2011/2012! After interrupting for 2 years I am now back to my BAPP studies and ready to conduct my professional inquiry.....

"What is the best way to prepare someone for full time professional training in Musical Theatre/Dance?"


Thursday, April 12, 2012

Literature Reviews

Literature Reviews


After searching through various websites, journals, blogs etc. I came across three pieces of literature that seemed relevant to my inquiry.

Literature 1 is 'The Right Training' by Adrian Jeckells.  Jeckells is the Principle of the London School of Musical Theatre and in the article he talks about the importance of finding right course and getting the right training.

Literature 2 is 'Standing out from the crowd' by Yvonne I'Anson, head of development at Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts.  This was a feature in 'The Stage's' Musical Theatre Supplement in 2005 and it focuses on what an audition panel at a theatre school are looking for and how to ensure that you will be remembered in your audition. The article is from the perspective of auditioning at Mountview, however I think that the majority of the content is releavant to all Theatre School auditions. 

Literature 3 is 'Theatre School Auditions' by Richard Evans CDG.  Evans is a well respected Casting Director and is author of the book 'Auditions: A Practical Guide'.  This extract is again a feature from 'The Stage's' Musical Theatre Supplement from 2009 and goes through the audition process from how to prepare, what the panel are looking for and how to behave. 

The link to the Google Doc for each review can be found below and on each document there is a link to the original article.

Literature Review 1

Literature Review 2

Literature Review 3

I have found all three articles relevant to my inquiry and useful in terms of further research and how I can refine my ideas.

I would ideally like to find some more pieces of literature that focused on theories and perhaps that had a more argumentative feel. The three pieces I chose were all from one person's opinion and didn't really contain any other perspectives or views.  Perhaps looking at a piece of literature that is a response to another piece, would provide more content to really analyse in depth. 

For now this was a good opportunity to practice my 'literature review' skills and techniques, all in good preparation for when the actual inquiry takes place.

Please take the time to read if you can and as always any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment