The BAPP journey begins..........

Modules 1 and 2 completed in 2011/2012! After interrupting for 2 years I am now back to my BAPP studies and ready to conduct my professional inquiry.....

"What is the best way to prepare someone for full time professional training in Musical Theatre/Dance?"


Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Reader 2: Task 2 - finding the layers behind ideas that you 'like'!!

Finding the True Thoughts Behind the Ideas that we 'Like'

In Reader 2 we are asked to think about an idea that we like and think about why it is that we like this idea?

Adesola gives a great example; she likes the idea that dancers are practical people and learn kinaesthetically.  When she broke this down and really asked herself why she liked it, it turned out that it wasn't necessarily the idea that she liked but it was more about her feelings towards herself.  It gave her justification that it was ok to be practical, rather than being able to sit down and read, something which she didn't feel particularly good at.

Personal Example

What idea do you like?

I really like the idea of being able to combine my work and social activities with keeping fit! I like the idea that my job keeps me fit and I like to choose social activities that are keeping me active and healthy.  For example I would much prefer to go for a walk rather than watch a film or go swimming in stead of out for a drink.

Why do I like this idea?

On the surface I would say it is because I prefer more active types of activities.  I enjoy going to the gym and I enjoy outdoorsy activities.  Although this is true, does this mean that I don't enjoy sitting down to watch a film or read a book? Of course not, I love to do these things too, so then I had to ask well why is it really that I choose 'keep fit' activites over the more shall we say relaxing ones?

As a perfomer I am constantly wanting to stay in shape and as they say stay 'job ready'.  When I am performing I am usually at the peak of my fitness and don't need to worry about this as the job is keeping me fit. However, when I am out of work I really feel the pressure to stay in shape and to not become lazy.  Therefore, when I really thought about it, I choose these type of activities so that I don't feel guilty!! If I were to sit on the couch, relax and read a book, in the back of my mind I would always have that constant feeling that I should be being active and keeping myself in top form. 

Choosing activities like the gym, walking, swimming etc. means that when I do decide to have half an hour 'relax' time, I can properly relax knowing I have been active at some point during the day.  It saddens me slightly to think of it like this, but I guess this is my true feeling towards it.  I do really enjoy being active though and love the endorphines that are released during exercise, but the hidden layers are definitely there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment