The BAPP journey begins..........

Modules 1 and 2 completed in 2011/2012! After interrupting for 2 years I am now back to my BAPP studies and ready to conduct my professional inquiry.....

"What is the best way to prepare someone for full time professional training in Musical Theatre/Dance?"


Sunday, November 27, 2011

Task 3d: Critical questions and issues that emerge.

Task 3d: Critical Questions and Issues that Emerge

This task is all about reflection and trying to digest our thoughts on the three previous tasks:
  1. Current Networks
  2. Theories Relating to Networks
  3. Information Sources   
Returning to Reader 2 we have to reflect on the tasks and experiences within this part of the Module, in order to truly learn from them. I intend to critically analyse my own tasks and also comment on the tasks of others; this will prompt critical thinking and make me question my own thinking in comparison to the opinions of others.  The question is: will this communication with others shift my own thinking, planning or practice??

Critical Reflection (Module 1 - Part 3)

The nature of my personality means that Networking has always been instinctive within me.  I have a naturally inquisitive nature and a desire to succeed, therefore I find myself networking without really having to make a conscious effort to do so.  As with most performers, I always strive to be the best I can be and am constantly looking for ways that I can improve and maximise my chances; the three tasks within Part 3 have provided new ways to look at networking and an opportunity for me to really analyse my own current Professional Networking. 

Task 3a enabled me to clearly see the full range of my current networks.  It definitely made me realise that since I have lived outside of London I have defintiely taken a backseat when it comes to Networking, particularly 'People Networks'.  When living in London I would say that Networking was my main focus; constantly meeting with people, taking class, searching for auditions, etc. Since gaining employment my Networks have definitely seen a shift.  I still very much utilise 'Information Networks' and use the web frequently to network in this way.  When performers gain employment it is like a weight has been lifted and I guess the barrier comes down and you start to relax a little. With me, I relaxed my People Networks, as their need was not great at that specific time.  It is true to say that the size and strength of your network will change depending on how much energy you invest into it and this will vary dependant on your sitaution at the time and your need for that particular network.  In hindsight I wish I had placed more energy into my networks whilst in employment, as you never know when you are going to need to rely on them in the future, especially in an industry such as ours where you are constantly up and down.  It is always good to keep the flame alight and maybe I let it burn out a little too much. Perhaps I got too comfortable, however unfortunately this industry does not allow for that. On a positive note, I know that I have the ability to form and maintain strong networks and with strong engagement and energy on my part I can hopefully rebuild them to their former state.

Although I now have a better understanding of the theories/concepts featured in Reader 3 - do I actually think that they have changed the way in which I will approach networking?
In the handbook we are advised to give each theory the time to settle and to not dismiss any based on first judgement.  I can definitely see how each has relevance to Professional and Personal Networking but one issue that emerged for me was....'Are the theories simply things that happen automatically as a result of networking?'
In one view, yes, in successful networking theories such as 'cooperation' and 'affiliation' will naturally be taking place, however the theories have provided me with key concepts that need to be established in order for the network to be successful.  I am now aware that different levels of cooperation can be used and to be aware of when 'tit for tat' is being used or when someone is cooperating less and exploiting the other member.  The theories on affiliation have made me aware that people have different needs re affiliation: Phil Carrol made an interesting point...'It is quality not quantity'.  The quality of the relationships within the network are surely more important than the sheer number of 'relationships'.  The ideas on 'Communities of Practice' made me realise that being part of a Network brings so much more than just information and knowledge.  Being a member of this community gives you an identity and can help to shape who you are as a Professional.  I had never thought of a Network provding these invaluable things and it is something which I hope to focus on more when it comes to future Professional Networking.  I believe the gains from this are something which will really help me to develop and grow within my Professional Practice.  The theories defintiely enhanced the importance of the concepts within a Professional Network, but I wouldn't say that they completely changed my way of thinking in terms of Networking.  They definitely provided new ways to look at Networking and ways in which I could improve my own Networking skills.

Task 3c was very interesting for me, as I had always presumed that 'People Networks' were my main source when it came to Professional Networking, however my 'Information Networks' are just as prominently featured within my own Networking.  Linking back to the ideas on 'Connectivism' from the reader, technology has dramatically altered our learning style and in terms of 'Information Sources' it has opened us up to a huge range of resources. I would go as far as saying that the limits are endless when it comes to gaining new information.  The 'half life of knowledge' was a term I found extremely interesting, if not a little shocking, the idea that knowledge is doubling every 18 months and that half of what is known today was not known 10 years ago.  Due to the phenomenom that is technology we can gain as much information as we want; if only we had enough hours in the day to do so!! When I brainstormed all of my Information Sources I was actually quite pleased with how I utilise different sources in order to gain knowledge.  As I have mentioned previously, I am the kind of person that likes to make things happen rather than wait for them to come to me, so again it is intuitive for me to find sources of knowledge on my own i.e. without the help of 'People Networks'.  Even though I am perhaps a little 'out of the loop' as I have not been on the audition circuit, I still do network a great deal in my spare time, it is just that I tend to use the phenomenom of technology to do so, rather than contact/communication with fellow professionals. 

I have to ask the question....'Am I pleased with my current Professional Networking?' 'How can I improve them?'
For my current need....Yes! I know from past experience that I have a great ability to network , however at present I have become comfortable and have negleted certain networks as I have not needed them.  It is also difficult for me at the moment because I am in a transition period; I am starting to shift from the performing world to the teaching world.  Although many of my previous networks can be utilised in some way, I definitely need to focus on developing some 'teaching based networks' that will help me when I make the transition to teacher rather than performer.  In order for this to be successful, I have to put the energy and effort in and engage fully in my new 'Communities of Practice'. 
I would also like to try out 'Twitter' and see how the argument 'quality over quantity' fairs then!
I am a very focused individual and my 'Information Sources' have always remained - technology has made it so that location, current situation etc. does not affect the ability to maintain 'Information Networks'. 
I am still unsure on the idea of using Social Media Sites (such as facebook) as a 'Professional Networking' tool.  I would like to read other people's views on this and see if their opinions can shift my own thoughts on this.  I do believe it can be great to network in 'informal' situations with old colleagues/friends, but not in a 'formal' way for example with potential future employers. 

This leads on nicely to the next question...'Does sharing ideas and communicating with others shift your thinking, planning or practice?'
Well, perhaps my opinions on Social Media Sites will be altered after communicating with others??
Communicating with others and sharing ideas makes me question more my own thinking and the truth within it.  Rather than just taking something as truth, it makes me stop and ask why I think this as true, is there another way to view this? I am open to other opinions and defintiely take other views/opinions on board.  The ideas and opinions of others are there to analyse and you can decide whether they can benefit your Professional Practice.  They don't need to completely change your own opinion, but can often provide a different way of looking at something, and this inevitably makes you learn more. 

Critical Reflection is ultimate in helping you to decide what really matters and how to move forward.  For me, it isn't until I really analyse/evaluate a situation that I realise the value and importance within it.  For me the process of Critically Reflecting provides me with a clear head space, that is then capable of making a decision.  The Journal has been a great tool for this; my method of Journal writing is to go through the events of the day, evaluate it by saying how I felt, what was good/bad etc.. then I finish the entry by writing what I want to achieve from the next day.  The reflection on the events of the day enable me to see my future aims and helps me to set a clear route forward. An example of this is that I now try to do all of my work in the morning: my evaluations found that I always have a much more productive day when working in the morning, so I try to apply this to my everyday events.  This seems such a small thing but has really helped my productivity, which is essential in today's busy society. 

So to conclude, do I feel differently about networking? The tasks have definitely given me a clear outline on the current state of my Professional Networks and the direction in which I need to go in.  The theories have provided concepts which will enable successful networking and ideas that can help me to utilise and develop my own Professional Networking.  This part of the Module has definitely made me realise the importance of networking within my Professional Practice - we need that support barrier around us, regardless of which area of the industry you are in.  I think it is time to put the effort in, engage and try to develop new networks that will help me with future career aspirations....let the networking begin!!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo,

    your thoughts are very interesting and it appears to me that you have really thought about the tasks. I agree with you and Phil Carroll in the point that quality is more important than quantity related to networks. In my point of view a good network has to be consist of people which want to help one another. So quality is essential for a functional network. Now I will also working more on such a network.

    Katharina

    ReplyDelete