The BAPP journey begins..........

Modules 1 and 2 completed in 2011/2012! After interrupting for 2 years I am now back to my BAPP studies and ready to conduct my professional inquiry.....

"What is the best way to prepare someone for full time professional training in Musical Theatre/Dance?"


Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Kolb's Learning Cycle.....

David Kolb developed the idea of 'The Learning Cycle' and he was informed by the work of Dewey and Lewin. 
'The Learning Cycle' is a circle of 4 steps: 1) Concrete Experience - doing or having an experience. 2) Reflective Observation - reflecting on the experience that you have had. 3) Abstract Conceptualisation - learning from the experience. 4) Active Experimentation - Trying out what you have learned.
In simple terms this is, having the experience, reflecting, what did I learn? and then putting it all into practice!
However, in order for this cycle to work you have got to be able to identify that you have had an 'experience' in the first place and you need to have the tools to reflect on that experience.  In the context of the course our Journals will be the tool/vehicle for learning and reflecting on our day to day experiences. The events that we encounter will become the basis of our journals. 

As stated in the Reader, everyone goes through this learning cycle and you participate in each step, sub-consciously or consciously, however the difference is the point at which we start to learn something new! When do we notice something is missing or lacking from our knowledge set?
This point at which you start to learn is your entry point into the learning cycle sometimes described as your 'learning style'. 

So, where is my entry point into the learning cycle?? Everywhere?? Using the example in the reader I started to think about how I created my blog.  Firstly, I looked at other people's to get an idea of my likes and dislikes. I liked blogs that were colourful and aesthetically pleasing (to my eye), I loved the use of pink and use of images.  Using this as evidence I would say that I used 'Reflective Observation' and therefore this is my entry point into the learning cycle. However, this was not solely the case!! I definitely just started to create it, not really knowing how or the best way to go about it.  I knew how I wanted it to look from observing others, however I had no knowledge on how to create it and definitely used the trial and error method, adjusting and adapting as I went along (I actually created one and then had to create another as I could not figure out how to delete!!)  Therefore using this as evidence my entry into the learning cycle would be 'Active Experimentation'.  Is this possible?? Can you have more than one learning style??

Of course you can!!! As Gardner describes in the reader..'the theories are like lenses to look through at learning and being a learner.  They should not limit you by making you feel you are one kind of learner.'
The 'learning cylce' is definitely a tool for reflection on how you learn and can help you to know how to approach an experience, however there is no right or wrong way of learning and it is about finding the best way of learning for yourself.  This may be a combination of ways, the idea of 'Multiple Intelligences' concurs with this.  I have lots of different ways in which I learn and on different days I respond differently to various methods.  Take for example a tap class, some days I learn best from having the names of the steps said to me, other times I pick it up best just from copying the teacher's movements.  Finding this balance and the combination of learning styles that work best for you will enable you to get the most out of your experiences. 

As the reader states....
'A large part of Professional Practice is about finding your own reflection method and through this reflection finding your Professional Direction/Artistic Vision.'

There are no right/wrongs or black/whites with learning and reflection. You have to find what suits you best and decide how you can get the most out of every experience :)

No comments:

Post a Comment